Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Picking Out Rugs... I Realized: I'm Married!

So whenever somebody finds out I just got married, they ask, "How's married life treatin ya?" It's been two weeks people! One of which was our honeymoon! This question is especially noticeable at work.

For those who do not know, I work at an apartment community. We have a pretty great relationship with our residents - better than any place I have ever rented at. With this solid relationship comes a lot of chatting with residents. For anybody who knows me pretty well... I'm not exactly a social butterfly, especially when it comes to small talk. I am just awkward. But, for our residents, I give it my best.


Photobucket


(TWP in Burnsville)

Anyway, even with all those questions about being married, it never really hit me until this past Sunday morning. We were shopping at Target with a few gift cards from the wedding. We wanted to pick out a some items for our new place in St. Paul. I know, I know... we have lived here for almost two months now. But it's still new to me since I was in the wedding-planning-fog most of the time! For example... I still don't quite punch our microwave buttons right (which results in changing the clock frequently instead of cooking something).

So back to Target... I had my heart set on a particular set of rugs. They were even on our registry. I picked them out MONTHS ago. Sunday morning I was thinking a quick trip to Target Boutique (read with french accent) to return some double items, pick up the rugs, and maybe a few other small items. Nope. Wrongo. Tony despises these rugs! He has the largest version in the lobby of his office. He can't stand looking at it there everyday and then coming home to it and seeing it all over our entry/kitchen area. Plus he doesn't want to hear the comments if we have people over from work and they see the rugs.


Photobucket


Silhouette Vine at Target

I'm devastated. Ok... maybe a little dramatic. But I am highly disappointed. It is the only patterned rug that does not have any red in it (I'm not a fan) and that doesn't look floral antiquey. And it is dark... therefore dirt won't be quite as noticeable right away.

After a few debates, I put on my big girl pants and remembered that we are married now. It's not my home to decorate, it's OUR home. It's not my money we are spending, it's OUR money. I guess I have to start considering his opinions a little more than I used to... even with home decor. Yup... I'M MARRIED!!! It's not all about ME anymore!

I asked him about which rugs he preferred and we settled on a rug that would work for both of us. It wasn't my favorite and I'm not sure if it was his, but it's something that we both enjoy enough to buy it for our home. We are really shooting for a "grown-up" feel for our place. We are even thinking of inviting people over for dinner and such! :)

Photobucket


Left = Modern Botanical at Target . Right = Modern Botanical in Our Home :)

2 comments:

Jackie O said...

You crack me up! Your choice of rug seems so much better for the hide-the-dirt factor, but the one you went with is nice! Hope you're enjoyed married life! (love your blog)

Justine said...

Thanks Jackie! I have always loved blogging and have gone through quite a few. Hopefully I will stick with this one and keep it somewhat entertaining :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...